Every year 40,000 women are killed with breast cancer in Pakistan
PINKRIBBON CAMPAIGN PAKISTAN
Pakistan has the highest rate of breast cancer in whole of Asia with every 9th woman at high risk of getting breast cancer at some point in her life. Prevalence of breast cancer is the maximum amongst all the cancers in Pakistan i.e. 38.5%. Every year 40,000 women are killed with breast cancer in Pakistan and approximately 90,000 new cases are diagnosed, however the number of unreported cases is expected to be much more.
Unfortunately lots of cultural and social taboos along with myths and misconceptions are associated with breast cancer contributing to high mortality rates as most of the women report at stage III and IV, thus reducing the chances of survival. On the other hand, the total spending on health sector is dismally low i.e. 3.58% of the total government expenditure. The available human resource in health sector in Pakistan is also quite low as it shows a ratio of 1,127 persons per doctor and the ratio of female doctors especially surgeons, radiologists and oncologists is even less.
Societal and cultural mores combined with poor access to rural healthcare for females limit the access to the information available on breast cancer and discourage both public and private discussion, advice, early discovery, and treatment among women.
Good news is that breast cancer can be detected and cured at a very early stage! So it is important to focus on prevention rather than cure since the survival rate of breast cancer increases to more than 90% if diagnosed early.
Based on our comprehensive experience of working on breast cancer in Pakistan since 2004, and analyzing the dire need of preventive health services, Pink Ribbon Pakistan plans to launch its first Dedicated Breast Cancer Hospital which will include:
- State of the art diagnostic and treatment facilities equipped with latest technology and highly trained technicians and doctors for an early diagnosis of breast cancer.
- Training institute to train personnel like health workers, nurses, technicians, doctors, etc. with the latest techniques and procedures required to provide quality healthcare to patients.
- Counseling services to help patients and families explore how to cope with emotions such as fear, anxiety and grief; and challenges such as communication issues, isolation and adjusting to changes in family dynamics.
- Research center to investigate the prevalence, high risk factors and trends of early/late detection, etc.
- Quality Assurance and Certification in collaboration with Pakistan National Accreditation Council (PNAC) to comply with best practices to a network of other diagnostic centers nationwide to insure quality diagnosis for breast cancer patients.
- Mobile Mammogram Bus to reach out to the poorest of the poor women in rural areas.
How you can help?
Pink Ribbon Pakistan is a volunteer driven initiative purely running on the public philanthropy of Pakistanis. Support Pink Ribbon through your donations and help us build Pakistan’s first dedicated Breast Cancer Hospital
How you can show your support
Donating is easy, simply click on contribute and pay via the options availalbe in your location
You can create your own fundraisers by clicking on Fundraiser and campaign for us online. Let your friends and family know and ask them to either support or spread the word
You can create promoters who would spread the word