STEP (The Self-empowering Transition and Employability Programme)
STEP is a pilot project jointly developed by CyberCare Youth Organization and Accenture Malaysia since 2013. It is a career aspiration and employability programme created for the under privilege youth in Malaysia in aiming to equip these youth with a variety of skills inclusive of general awareness, soft skills and employability skills. Opportunities are also created for these youths to expand their reality box and experiences, by providing internship opportunities with participating corporations and organisations, that may lead to permanent employment positions for these youths.
STEP was designed with the intention of supporting youths who are about to leave orphanage homes. These youths are at a stage of making important life decisions that can impact their future. By equipping these youths with critical employability skills, they are able to create a brighter future for themselves, and allows them to break out of the poverty and adversity cycle.
CyberCare carried out STEP 2.0 in March – May 2015 for 35 youth consisting of a mixed group of participants from orphanage homes and refugees school. Most of the youth face challenges in:
1. Confidence and trust to express themselves and communicate with others, especially in English
2. Having a mentor and opportunity to discover their potentials and capabilities
3. Opportunity to showcase their talent and exposure in different experience and working industry
4. Lack of career aspiration and proper guidance in preparation to be independent adult.
5. Lack of access to trainings, example: soft skills, ICT skills and other interactive training opportunity to empower them to become a leader for themselves.
6. Lack of opportunity and safe platform for them to create friendship and built trusting relationship out of their community. Example: youth from different background and volunteer as a role model.
STEP 2.1 Opening Doors for Drop-out Refugees Youth - A Joint Collaboration with UNHCR
This time we specifically customized the project for refugee youths who have dropped out from school and will be piloting it with full support by United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Malaysia for the 40 refugees aged 15-18 within Kuala Lumpur Malaysia of mainly three categories:
1) Born and educated in Malaysia,
2) Grew up in refugee camps and may have been educated and well-trained by NGOs,
3) Never went to school, completely illiterate and lost
The Programme: End October – Mid December 2015
1) The 5 days 4 nights full stayed in camp giving most of the Refugee Youth’s first time experience learning in a totally different environment and building trust within themselves and the facilitators.
2) 9 full weekends of Training will be held between end-October till mid-December (dates to be finalized)
Why do we organize this project?
1. To open their minds to possibilities of a better future and beyond day-to-day survival
2. To create a fun, interactive learning environment where mistakes are mandatory and progress is evaluated and followed up in order to instil the importance of learning and empower them with the desire to learn
3. To help them discover their potentials, talents, capabilities through rigorous but creative approaches and therefore increase their self-esteem and confidence
4. To encourage and reward discipline in the workshop where practices are guided and demonstrated
5. To help build an inclusive community of friendship and belonging among different groups of refugees
To get a better idea of what is STEP, watch our 2nd pilot which was held from March – May 2015 with 34 youths from various orphanages and refugees school in the Klang Valley. The video below is the outcome of the STEP programme themed “STEP Up for the Future”
How YOU can be part of the change? Be part of a life changing experience for a refugee youth. Your contribution is highly appreciated as we empower the youths of tomorrow to better the life of an entire nation. We are seeking to raise funds for our camp and training session to ensure the participants are better equipped and motivated to STEP UP for their future. We are looking to raise RM25,000 for us to cover the following items:-
1) 5D4N “Camp To Be” for 50 pax (40 Youths + 3 Trainers + 7 Facilitators)
2) Volunteers Training Session
4) 40 T-Shirts for the Refugee youth.
5) Video Recording in the Programme.
Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com should you have any questions.
RM50 - GRATITUDE E-Card - Recording of “Thank you” from the participants/volunteers and organizers.
RM100- One Gratitude Card - Our gratitude card signed by participants, appreciating your efforts for letting the youths be the change of tomorrow!
RM250- HANDICRAFT BY REFUGEES - Be surprised and grab your personalized handicraft gift that will be made by the refugee youths in one of their training sessions
RM500 -BE A SMART LEARNER! - Grab your personally autographed “Why My Score Is Better Than Yours - Fast, Easy and Reliable Methods For Studying & Learning” book by our Academic Coach cum Best-Selling Author, Foo Chee Fong
RM1,000- LEARN FROM THE BEST! – SPONSOR ACADEMIC COACHING FOR A ORPHANAGE HOME - Sponsor one academic coaching session for an Orphanage Home & a personally autographed book “Why My Score Is Better Than Yours - Fast, Easy and Reliable Methods For Studying & Learning” book by our Academic Coach cum Best-Selling Author, Foo Chee Fong
RM 2,500-BE OUR VIP GUEST & BE SERVED BY OUR YOUTH IN OUR F&B CHALLENGE (Max 5 Slots ONLY) - Be our special guests on 5th December and have your meal served by our participants on their last challenge!
RM 5,000 - BE OUR SPECIALLY INVITED GUEST FOR OUR GRADUATION - Join us to watch the fruits of our labour in the graduation that will be held on December 19, 2015 (Note: Date subjected to change)
RM10,000 - MAIN SPONSOR AWARD (Max 1 Slot ONLY) - Get your name / company featured in our finalized video and join us to watch the fruits of our labour in the graduation that will be held on December 19, 2015 (Note: Date subjected to change)